Friday, February 26, 2010

Photo Friday

Happy last day of olympic-induced sleep deprivation!  I've been too darn tired to write anything with all the skis, skates, and hockey pucks sucking every last second of my time these past two weeks. 
Anyway!

It's been a very long time since I had a photo Friday, plus I wanted an excuse to post this adorable picture of Joseph.  He's awesome. Even though he has dementia and often doesn't know where he is or why,  he told me a story recently about getting shot in World War II and his subsequent year-long stay in a German hospital. In great detail, I might add. He's an amazing person and the conversation reminded me how important it is that we listen to our elder's stories. 

There is a proverb that says "every time an old person dies, a library burns to the ground." That couldn't be more true. Our old people have seen and experienced so many things that most of us cannot even fathom.  If you have an old person in your life...engage them in a conversation. Ask them about something from their past. Really listen to them. Not only will you make their day, but you'll learn something, too.

p.s. Record your conversations. It's the cheapest priceless keepsake you could ever have.

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

awe, that looks like my grandpa! I miss my grandpa dearly

Carolina John said...

good advice. joseph looks like a fun fella.

Diana said...

Being the "genealogist" of the family, love this post. And so true of the quote!
I agree to get these stories before their gone forever.
Sweet picture!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Isn't this the same Joseph who always asks, "Mind if I stick it in?"

Did it occur to you that he only told you that story to impress you so you'd finally say "yes"?

Hahahahahaha!

No, but you're right, lil sis carnie! In fact, I'm taking Teh 'Dad to the doctor today, so I'll have a whole lot of time to talk with him. We love to reminisce and when Teh 'Bride's there, he loves to tell her about how I was such a fat little b@st@rd when I was little.

On second thought, SHUT UP, Teh 'Dad!