Sunday, December 28, 2008

Lazy Sunday

It was a very busy week. Between giving lots of extra Christmas love to the residents (very sad time of the year for so many) and all the blessed family and friend gatherings, I'm just tired. Today, we have no where to be but home. Today, it is 3:49 p.m. and I am still wearing my pajamas. Today, I am not cooking. Today is wonderful.

Today, I am also thinking about next year. So cliche, but how can one help it? I need a new calendar. It's time to start a new running log. What better time to meditate on self improvements than when you're flipping through the pages of how you spent the last year of your life? I have so many personal growth opportunities. I'm tempted to make a list. Write out goals. Put my intentions on paper. But how exactly can you mark something like "stay in the moment" off of a list? So, no list....just hopes.

I hope that every day I remember how important it is to learn something new. I hope that I will remember to keep that elusive attitude of gratitude. I hope I remember not to complain. I hope that I will always remember to laugh (mostly at myself). I hope I remember how unproductive it is to feel sorry for myself. And mostly, I hope that if I don't remember these things one day...that I will simply forgive myself instead of wasting energy being mad or sad. Breathe in, breathe out, and move on. And remember to remember the next day.

Oh yeah, and I also plan to run a lot of miles and hug a lot of old people.

Peace.

4 comments:

HC said...

Those sound like excellent resolutions!

And I'm with you on the forgiving one's self -- that's my resolution this year -- to forgive myself for the stupid/ silly/ meaningless human slip-ups that I make, as easily as I forgive others for them.

Bring on the new year!

Sarah said...

I 100% echo your hope to not waste the forgetful years being angry or sad. It's painful!!

P.O.M. said...

Your hopes are JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR today.
Thank you.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

We were able to spend a really long time with my Dad at his facility this Xmas eve. He's only been there since like August, but he's doing well. He even sang in the Xmas program they did - one of only two males. The other male was on oxygen, so I think Dad pretty much carried the low-end that day.

This is tough to witness. His place is okay, but this is the first year he didn't get to have Christmas at home. Luckily my brother was able to see him Christmas day, too.

So you're right. This is a tough time of year for the elderly folks. I feel self-indulgent when I wallow in my own, by comparison, piddling problems. I have it pretty good in life and a lot of the reason I do is because of all the hard work my Dad did for me.

Nice post. Thanks for the reminders.