Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Random Thought for Thursday

Back in April when we were in Boston for the marathon I had a delightful conversation with another runner at a bar. (We are now considered the founding members of the Apres Expo Drinking Club. Hopefully we will reunite next April, so if anyone would like to consider membership in this exclusive club just drop me a line.) Part of our conversation was a discussion based on the number of tooth "pik" flosser thingies we see on the street while on a run. Seriously, those little suckers are everywhere! Everytime I see one, I think of Moe in Boston and ponder exactly why it is that someone obsessed with their oral hygeine wouldn't also be a little concerned with the earth's hygeine and take the time to throw their gross little tooth pik into the freaking trash instead of on the ground. But I digress.

I do 99.9% of my running on a trail, so I rarely run on the street anymore. I did, however, take off running from home last week because I was short on time and needed to get one in. I had forgotten how entertaining running on the street can be! Not only did I see two tooth piks and the normal trash one would expect (I HATE litterbugs!), but also a CD, one pink knock-off-brand Croc, money, a shirt, a cassette case, a smashed GI Joe guy, and a glove. How does stuff like that get on the street anyway? One shoe? Seriously? What about the shirt? How does such random stuff like that get on the side of a street? Am I weird for wondering?


6 comments:

Amy - the gazelle said...

that is one of the most entertaining things about running on the streets. A little boy down the street from me has his pet dinosaur tied to one of the hitching rings - which cracks me up every time!

Runner Tammy said...

I tend to be a "road runner" just because there are no trails really convenient to me. Thus as you can imagine I spend ALOT of time on the roads.

The oddest thing I saw was a truly dead rat next to a plastic rat. I am curious if the real rat wandered over to it's plastic companion and decided to up and die or did some practical joker decide to put the plastic rat next to real rat. And if this is the case, who in the world carries a plastic rat in their car???

Occasionally when I see roadkill that is an obvious species I wish I had a plastic counterpart but so far I have not taken up driving around (or running) with plastic rats, squirrels, deer, goose, etc.

But maybe I should just to entertain or provide conversation starters for others.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

No, Lil Sis - yer not weird for wondering.

You're weird because you're a carny.

carrie said...

@ Amy...that would have put me over the top! I have a hard enough time breathing and running, let alone adding laughing to the mix.

@ Tammy...Uh, that's just weird! I once saw a rubber bat on the road, all spread out like it was real. Scared the crap out of me!

@ G...HAHAHAHAHAHA! Big brothers are such a pain sometimes.

Anonymous said...

What a timely post...On Saturday's run I spotted not 1 but 2 pair of abandoned boxer shorts on Thames St Newport RI...Apparently it was a rough night for some!!

Cant wait for Apres Expo!!!

*crking up over the rat story*

Moe from Boston

Laura said...

I find that SO bizarre! I can't imagine using one of those tooth pick things outside of a bathroom. And someone does it on the run?